Bronchitis is a disorder of the respiratory system characterised by inflammation of the windpipe and the bronchi. Viral or bacterial infection is responsible for acute bronchitis. On the other hand, chronic bronchitis is caused when the lungs are continuously irritated by cigarette smoke or exposure to polluted or hazardous conditions.
Do not despair if your doctors tells you that you have contracted bronchitis. The following ten steps will tell you how to successfully treat bronchitis:
1. Get away from irritants, pollutants, and toxins that are causing havoc to your lungs. Quit smoking for good and avoid being a passive smoker too. In case you live in a polluted area, either move to a cleaner place or keep within the confines of your home. Protect yourself form hazardous substances and other irritants by wearing a face mask.
3. Keep a hot water bottle or a hot, moist cloth against your chest or back. This serves to reduce inflammation and is highly effective if done at bed time.
4. If you are planning a visit to cooler areas, remember to cover your nose and mouth with a warm handkerchief. This precaution has to be taken because cold conditions aggravate bronchitis.
5. Do not take cough suppressants. Coughing is the body’s way of throwing out unwanted secretions. You may, however, take a suppressant at night, to facilitate a good night’s sleep.
6. Take your medicines as prescribed by your doctor. If your condition is due to bacterial infection, you will have to take antibiotics. Do not miss any dose. Complete the entire course of medication even if you feel that you are getting better.
7. Use aerosols and inhalers as prescribed by your doctor. Don’t increase the dose because it might cause harmful side effects.
8. You may have to take dietary supplements such as colloidal silver, zinc, vitamins C and A, coenzyme Q10, goldenseal, and echinacea. However, before taking anything, consult your doctor.
9. Plan a nutritious, well-balanced diet. Drink plenty of liquids such as soups, herbal tea, fruit juices, and water.
10. Do not take foods that might encourage mucus production. A list of such foods includes dairy products, white flour, processed foods, sugar, and foods that cause allergy.
In addition to the above ten steps, people suffering from bronchitis usually use the following methods to treat bronchitis:
1. Eat cucumber mixed with vinegar. It effectively cleans out the excess mucus. In addition, it also helps kill the bacteria that are infecting the lungs.
2. Take a charcoal slush comprising a mixture of 4-6 teaspoons of charcoal powder mixed with water. It does not taste foul and you can easily drink it. Take a dose of this slush every 4-6 hours when you are awake. The charcoal absorbs bacteria and other harmful germs and will be harmlessly eliminated by the body in the bathroom.
3. Frankincense, oregano, and thyme oils help relieve breathlessness. Take two drops of frankincense oil mixed with Ciaga’s organic juice thrice a day for three days. At the end of the third day, take oregano and thyme oils in a similar manner. You can even use pleurisy root as an alternative.
4. Boil water in a vessel full of aromatic herbs. Wrap your head with a towel. Cover the vessel with part of the towel and breathe in the aromatic fumes. Do this many times a day at intervals. This practice will help liquefy the phlegm.
5. Pound the patient’s back gently while he or she is lying on his or her belly with the body’s upper portion in a hanging position. This breaks down or dislocates the phlegm. This procedure is neither comfortable nor safe. However, if done correctly, it is an excellent way of getting rid of the mucus that block the air passages.
Consult a doctor if the symptoms last more than a week. If the mucus turns yellow, green, or rust-colored, it is a sign of danger and requires the attention of a physician. Before making any changes to your diet or taking any nutritional supplements, consult your doctor or health care provider. The information provided in the article is to be used along with the usual medication because it, in no way, serves as an efficient substitute for a doctor’s treatment or advise.
Abhishek is an ex-bronchitis sufferer and he has got some great tips for Bronchitis Treatment! Download his FREE 100 Pages Ebook, “How To Win Your War Against Bronchitis” from his website http://www.Health-Whiz.com/797/index.htm.