Youve got dry skin, but why. What dry skin causes could possibly do that? Dry skin, its quite a scourge especially as you grow older. But what causes dry skin and what can you do about it?
There are a wide range of factors that can produce dry skin. Some are more rare than others.
And you’d be very surprised at how common dry skin is, especially as we grow older, and so there are so many people searching for dry skin treatments. Some dry skin conditions are easy to treat, some not so easy.
And if you have dry skin were sure you know just how irritating it can be. Maybe your skin is all dull and flaky, red or even painful. And that itching.
Normal skin has it’s own layer of naturally occurring oils. These are produced by the skin and help protect our skin. But when this layer of protective oils is removed for one reason or another it causes the symptoms known as dry skin.
So lets have a look at dry skin causes and treatments. Some are easier to treat than others.
1. Long hot baths. So you love a shower or bath that is scalding hot, and love to stay there forever? That can take away natural oils from your skin. A shower is better than a bath, but keep it a little less hot.
2. Skin care products and cosmetics. You might find it hard to believe but many big name skin care products and cosmetics have ingredients in them that are not at all good for your skin. If this is news to you spend a little time on google researching dangerous skin care products and cosmetics.
Many ingredients actually dry our skin. An example is mineral oil. Mineral oil is a petrochemical product (ie derived from crude oil) and damages your skin, but is used because it is cheap.
High quality natural skin care products are way better for your skin, won’t damage it and will overcome dry skin conditions more easily.
3. Exposure to the sun. Sunburn can easily strip your skin of natural oils. It also damages your skin in other ways, and you should avoid sunburn at all costs. Anywhere, anytime.
4. Weather. This also can cause dry skin conditions by reducing humidity and dry your skin out. For example those living in cold dry winters may well find that they suffer from dry skin in winter, but if it is more humid in summer they don’t. This can usually be corrected with a high quality natural moisturizer, or even better, a complete natural skin care product.
5. Soaps and detergents. There are many modern soaps and detergents as well as shampoos which can dry your skin. Many of these also contain ingredients that are bad for you. Avoid soaps with deodorizers, you don’t need them. And the same for anti bacterial soaps. In fact avoid soaps which lather a lot and make you feel squeaky clean, these are often signs of soaps that will dry your skin. Look for natural soaps fragrance and deodorant free and keep trying until you find a soap that works for you.
6. Medical conditions like psoriasis, and drugs. There is a range of different medical conditions that can cause dry skin. For conditions like psoriasis and eczema consult your doctor, and be aware as well that there are some drugs that can also cause dry skin conditions.
7. Believe it or not itchy clothing can cause dry skin. So if your clothing itches junk it.
So, those are 7 dry skin causes, what dry skin treatments are there? Well of course it goes without saying that for medical conditions you ought to see a doctor. But in many cases this isn’t necessary.
I have already suggested some dry skin treatments that will work for some. Keep showers shorter and cooler, use more natural soaps and shampoos, try soaps out until you find a good one for you. And be aware of choosing natural alternatives to any product that you put on your skin. They are often cheaper and safer.
And lastly you really ought to use a high quality range of natural skin care products to combat dry skin. The highest quality natural skin care products contain natural moisturizers like Babassu oil, from the nut of the Babassu tree, and avocado oil. As well as moisturizing better they are also safer.
It may sound counter intuitive but the best natural skin care products on the market are actually very cost competitive to the big brands skin care ranges, not to mention working better and being safer. This is because they are made by a company that doesn’t advertise on TV, so doesn’t need to factor the huge costs of TV advertising into their products.
So there you have 7 dry skin causes, most of which you should be able to treat yourself, using a combination of your new found knowledge about the causes of dry skin, together with a regime of natural skin care products.